Pages


Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Blue and Crap

I am very intrigued by the complete downfall of U-M's football program. Granted, they did win the Citrus Bowl and next season is months away, but the program is headed downhill. Case in point: a walk-on from Saline is competing for the starting QB job and has a very good chance to at least split time. He also didn't start until his senior season and didn't start much that year due to injury.

In Buckeye land, the spring game is an annual tradition; over 70,000 people bought tickets for the Scarlet and Gray game. The Blue and Gold game usually has less fanfare. This year, the game was a closed scrimmage played on the good ole' SHS field (due to construction at the Big House).

As much as I hate the Buckeyes, I have to respect what Jim Tressel has done for the program. Two National Championship games in two years? Check. 23-1 in non-National Championship games over the past two years? (thanks Illinois!) Check. Top recruiting class each year? Check. Heisman trophy winner? Check. The Big 10 is OSU and everyone else. I think I need to move out of Columbus soon before it's too late.

Now onto that Honolulu Blue...

How the Lions could have an excellent draft:
Round 1. Drafting an OT like Chris Williams or Ryan Clady - it's our biggest need
Round 2. Drafting Jonathan Stewart, RB Oregon - the knock on him is a toe injury - and Adrian Peterson had a bum leg

How the Lions will ruin their draft:
1. Drafting Rashard Mendenhall in the first round
2. Drafting Chad Henne in the second or trading up to take him in the first (the current rumor going around)
3. Drafting ANY WR before the 4th round

4 comments:

Kevin said...

I'm fine with Michigan football starting to go downhill. That means a better opportunity for MSU.

As for the Lions draft, there is nobody in this draft, except maybe McFadden, who I am excited about. Whoever the Lions draft, my reaction will most likely be..."meh"

Mikey D said...

I think the most telling sign about the state of U of M football is when one of their players left because of "eroding family values"...and transfered to Ohio State. Bo just rolled over in his grave.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to like Ohio State over Michigan! I know it's hard because you grew up in Ann Arbor...butttttttt...
1) You live in Columbus now, soooo they are your new "hometown" team, so you can have some rooting interest. Some.
2) As long as you don't put OSU over MSU, it's all good. Your allegiance should be completly green and white. It's like me liking Minnesota over Penn State. Doesn't really matter, because I'm a Spartan in the end.

I am beyond pleased with the draft so far for the Lions.

Was Cherilus a reach? Probably. Would I have rather seen Otah, based on pre-draft grades, in Honolulu blue? Yeah. But the bottom line is that Millen drafted an OT, A DRAFT NEED. Taking a linebacker in the second round, although he doesn't seem that spectacular (why not Dan Connor?), fills another need left by Boss Baily. Filling needs, that's what the draft should be about!!! Finally the Lions are trying to do the right thing.

I also agree with Kevin. The only players that made me excited were Glenn Dorsey and Chris Long. Other than that, everyone was relatively the same. That being said, this will be a hard draft to grade the Lions on as 'winners' or 'losers'.

Mikey D said...

Let me just say, after the 5th round of picks, I can beyond happy with the Lions' draft!

We've taken an OT, LB, RB, DT, DE, WR...all needs, and all picked where they should have been. I love they waited on a Kevin Smith until the 3rd round instead of taking Mendenhall in the 1st. For now Smith will do. I also like that they took a receiver in the 5the round instead of being tempted to take one of the "top" receivers still left in the 2nd round.

Even if these picks don't pan out, they were the right types of players. Very logical and solid picks.

Love it.

Adam said...

"I think it's perfectly acceptable to like Ohio State over Michigan!"

Are you kidding me?! I am no where near a situation where I "like" Ohio State. That's like enjoying being stabbed in the eye rather than bamboo shoots up the fingernails.


I wanted Connor too. I am definitely ok with the Lions draft. I feel like everyone is calling it a "deep OT draft", but that is just because there aren't any QBs, RBs, and WRs. This truely was a weak draft. Kevin Smith saved our draft by himself. We went from a D to a B on the arbitraty draft grades on that pick.