Pages


Saturday, March 27, 2010

We're Final

Tom Izzo is 26-3 against teams that are seeded lower than MSU.

"I want them to tear down the statue of Sparty and put up Izzo. Forget the Spartan logo, I want Izzo's face on the 50 yard line of the football stadium too!" - Rece Davis

Our combined margin of victory, 13, is the lowest of any team to ever get to the Final Four.

Whatever we pay Izzo isn't enough. We don't just wake up the week the NCAA Tourney begins and decide to get serious. He has managed this team all year to come together at precisely the right time and has made adjustments like a skilled chemist.

I used to think, how good could we have finished if Kalin Lucas didn't get injured against Maryland? After all, he was the catalyst for our team in the first 1.5 games. Now I wonder, would they be this far if it weren't for Kalin Lucas' injury? Summers has taken his game to the next level, and a few more, and is producing arcade numbers each game. And Delvon Roe has ignored any pain his knee has given him and was a defensive force against Tennessee's taller forwards. Would Summers have risen above if it weren't absolutely required? Would Roe be playing with as much heart if Kalin wasn't on the sidelines in 100 times more pain than he is?

The field has been wide open this year. We have had to deal with a variety of playing styles and I think anyone left has a shot to win the championship. I am ecstatic about Izzo's 6th Final Four, the most of any coach in Big 10 history. But I really think this is our opportunity to win the whole thing. (Which I know I shouldn't say due to my penchant for being wrong.)

No comments: