Pages


Friday, December 30, 2005

Bowling

My plan was to end the college football season with a glutonous portion of bowl games before saying goodbye until August. I was going to watch at least five minutes of each bowl game and recap my experiences here. But a week with family killed those plans... sadly I am the only one of my family that could find eating left overs while taking in a BC/Boise St game on the Smurf Turf enjoyable. While I watched the Pistons/Spurs showdown, I was forced to miss them eke past the Heat. I have been on a vacation from work as well as sports. So, here I am, newly returned to my apartment. Am I unpacking? No. I am looking up sports news while watching game 1 of the 2004 ALCS on my new Red Sox DVDs. Which lead me to posting.

Schilling just gave up two runs in the first (which I knew was coming) but his pitches looked worse than I remember. This is pre-bloody sock and that just makes his later performances even more incredible to me. When He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (not Lord Voldemort) stepped up to bat the first time, it felt a little gross. The Sox are going to be pretty bad next year, so I have to relive the past.

The news clip I saw on ESPN that led me to post instead of unpack concerned the New Orleans Saints. They signed an agreement to play again next year in N.O. and Red Stick (Baton Rouge for those that don't parlevous francais). I'm glad they aren't moving. I was one of the only people to have pity for the ownership. They would look like the biggest jackasses if they moved the team post-hurricane, but would they really have the kind of market available to come to games? The Aint's already were in one of the smallest markets in the NFL. Now that market is trying to rebuild itself and may not have the kind of money to spend on coming to a game. I'm not a heartless guy... I sympathize w/ the people stuck in N.O. and I am ashamed of the response they got. Rebuilding the city is a billion times more important than worrying about the Saints. But it is his business after all and he has to keep it successful. Keeping them there is the best thing for everyone. However, rebuilding the Superdome isn't. We will never know all of the horrible things that occurred at the lawless Superdome evacuation center. Piss poor emergency management led to a situation where we couldn't uphold laws and we can't now. Instead of cleaning it up, I think it would be better to destroy the whole building so we can move past it. It's kinda like how after the Abu Grahb prison stories came out, they decided to close the prison and move the prisoners elsewhere. Bad stuff happened and it would be easier to move on by not using it anymore. However, the city doesn't have the kind of money it would take to demolish it and build a new stadium. I understand that building a new stadium isn't an option, but it would be ideal to putting some closure on a horrific experience for many.

No comments: