Pages


Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Championship Run Begins Now

It's over! Yay! I had a ton of thoughts going through my mind during the Izzo press conference, so here's a few:

-Good job, Kev - you're right again.

-Glad to hear that what ultimately made him decide to stay is the players, because that is the main difference between the NBA and the NCAA and they will keep him here for years to come. Great to see the players supporting him so much and hugging him -there doesn't appear to be any tension and I think it's because, as he said, if they were offered a first round contract with that much guaranteed money, would they have returned? No.

-Can't ignore the absence of Chris Allen. Yes, I know Mike, he lives in Georgia. That reinforces the rumors that have been propogated by Roe's dad. I would be extremely disappointed if he left.

-One question that I don't feel was answered enough - if LeBron was there, would he have left? It seemed like the lack of a guarantee that LeBron would return is the real reason why he's still here.

-What an exchange between Izzo and Lynn Henning! I think Simon, Hollis, and Izzo took a few too many jabs at "the media" - they are going to get some push back eventually. However, after rereading the "It's Too Late for Tom Izzo to Return to MSU" article, I think Henning made some unfair criticisms. Is Izzo really obligated to give a daily briefing if he hasn't made up his mind yet? No. Had the situation grown "embarrasing"? No. He also speculated unfairly as to why Izzo would want to leave - that he is growing tired of recruiting. But if Izzo doesn't like this level of media scrutiny, why in the hell would he consider coaching in the NBA? If the past week of reports from the Cleveland Plain Dealer prove anything, it's that he would be given a very short wick before their writers explode.

-Ok, we have to start thinking of Fantasy Football team names. A few quick ideas:
H To The...
MSU Coach 4 Life
Tom's Team
2011 NCAA Champs
6/12 = F4
...and so Mike can keep some of his namesake: CummingBack

-Unfortunately, I sense that the clock is ticking on Izzo's tenure and this past week moved the hour hand one step closer to midnight. I think he will step down in as little as 3 years, but very likely within the next 5 - especially if he wins another championship.

-Did anyone know his contract guarantees that he is paid an extra 5 years after he retires from MSU as a consultant? If we're talking about money, how can you give that up?

1 comment:

Mikey D said...

Haha, CummingBack...I like it.

I've got so many thoughts on the Lynn Henning exchange. I agree with everything you wrote though. Lynn's article was over the top, and had a lot of speculating in it...but that's what happens when your editor wants you to write something and you have no facts to go off of. It's a tough place Izzo put him in, and that's why crap like that gets put out.

And the media that Simon, Hollis, and Izzo were so mad at...most of it is the bloggers and the reporters out of Cleveland. Ridiculous the crap they put out (WFNY Cleveland). I really think it's unfair to group the Lansing media and most of the Detroit media with them.

I think Izzo should have recognized that there needed to be a middle ground between complete silence and too much information (daily updates). I would have preferred some parameters of a timetable. Even a simple, "I'm taking the weekend to decide this, please don't jump to any conclusions because nothing is going to happen Saturday or Sunday." How is that too hard??? It definitely lets me enjoy my weekend a bit...