Pages


Thursday, January 19, 2006

Fantasy College Alumni Football

I decided to make a USC team in Madden when it hit me... could I draft a whole team of USC alumni? If not USC, then what school could I use? How could I make my last day of work useful? So, I sought out the ultimate alumni NFL team. Here's what I found.

USC
Carson Palmer has at his disposal: Keary Colbert, Keshawn Johnson, Mike Williams, and Johnnie Morton. Justin Fargas starts at running back, which would obviously provide more options if this were the 2007 Madden version. Defensive line includes Shaun Cody and Kenechi Udeze with little in between. Offensive line isn't much better... between the two centers in the NFL, it appears they have a total of 0 games experience. Plus I don't know what I'd do without a single guard. With Lofa Tatupu, Willie McGinest, Chris Claiborne, and Junior Seau, I'd say linebacker would by far be the strongest position. Since I lack a kicker or a punter, it looks like I'd be going for it on 4th down... every time.
Offense: B Defense: B+ Special Teams: N/A

Michigan
Tom Brady throws to Amani Toomer, Braylon Edwards, David Terrell (hey, he was good in college) or he can hand off to Anthony Thomas or Chris Perry. It looks like I could actually put complete defensive and offensive lines on the field, although I would be weak at defensive tackle and end. I actually have special teams (Jay Feely and Cory Sargent... may not know who he is, but at least I have one). The cornerback duo of Ty Law and Charles Woodson is the strength.
Offense: B+ Defense: B Special Teams: C

Ohio State
Good news: Joey Galloway, David Boston, and Michael Jenkins make for a fairly good set of receivers. Bad news: Craig Krenzel is the one throwing to them. Their starting (and only) running back is Jonathan Wells unless you consider Maurice Clarett. They have decent linemen, but their secondary consists of Chris Gamble, Shawn Springs, Antoine Winfield, Mike Doss, Will Allen, and more. If you don't know who they are... they're good. Mike Nugent and Tom Tupa fill out the special teams.
Offense: C+ Defense: B Special teams: B-

Miami
Jackpot. Kinda. My third string running back would be Willis McGahee (with Edgerrin James no. 1 and Clinton Portis no. 2). Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, and Andre Johnson start at receiver and I'd have my pick of Bubba Franks, Jeremy Shockey, and Kellen "Mutha Fukin' Soldja" Winslow at tight end. Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan, Jonathan Vilma at linebacker. Antrel Rolle, Phillip Buchannon, Ed Reed, Mike Rumph in the secondary. Couldn't have a single weakness, right? Not as long as you think Vinny Testaverde and Ken Dorsey would be a "great battle for the starting QB spot". Plus there's no kicker.
Offense: A- Defense: A Special teams: D

So I really couldn't find a great team of alumni, but it was not all for naught... or something like that. It did help my last day of work go by a little quicker. If only the two U of M's (Michigan and Miami) teamed up... they would be unstoppable.

No comments: