Pages


Thursday, December 20, 2007

Hockey Pictureshow

For my birthday, I got 4 sets of hockey tickets. For starters was the Redwings/Panthers game on the 15th. I was so excited because this was surprisingly my first NHL game. It was also dollar hotdog night. I ate 4. Did I mention they were only a dollar? I was surprised at how little "promotion" and "show" there was surrounding the game. There were no player introductions, no cheesy promotional games, and nothing more than a blaring siren when a player scored a goal. At intermission, they had a little kid hockey player shootout. The Redwings were 3-6 on the powerplay and 1-2 on penalty shots (the first time in team history they've had 2 in a game). In the end, they won 5-2. Here's a look from our seats.

On my birthday, Stacey gave me an envelope with two Bluejackets tickets (thanks Stacey!!! I love you!). I was pretty excited, but even more so when I realized that the game was that night. I was then ecstatic when I realized they were 3rd row seats. Hockey is a little different when you are sitting this close.


The hits look a little like this


And I got to see my first live hockey fight.


The game was interesting because you can DEFINITELY tell the difference between a team that is 25-6 and another that is 14-13. The Bluejackets finished the game with 10 penalties - if they played the Redwings like that, they would give up at least 5 goals while shorthanded. Fedorov is ineffective - he has 6 G 11 A in 33 games. The one thing the team does well is making the game exciting. They had great intros, funny jumbotron clips, cheesy intermission games like musical chairs on center ice, a scantily clad "Mountain Dew Ice Crew" that cleans the ice during breaks, and they shoot a freaking cannon off after goals. Too bad we only got to see one during their 3-1 loss to the Flames.

A Bluejacket, by the way, refers to a Union soldier and is "celebrating patriotism, pride and the rich Civil War history in the state of Ohio and, city of Columbus."

After watching two NHL games live, you realize how poorly it translates to TV. The hits are louder, the scoring opportunities are more exciting, and there is so much more happening on the ice than the small portion that you see on TV. I'd rank sports the following in terms of how well it translates on TV: basketball, baseball, football, hockey. The only reason why I rank baseball 2nd is because a good portion of the enjoyment comes from sitting in the beautiful, open ballpark. I love hockey, but I am growing tired of watching it on TV.

Oh, and the other two hockey games? The Fri/Sat night series of MSU at OSU. Can't wait!

2 comments:

Mikey D said...

That is so much fun! Grace and I went to the MSU/Notre Dame game last year (my first hockey game) and the seats were right about where yours were for the Bluejacket games. You are completely right- the game doesn't translate well to t.v. at all. I'm not the biggest hockey guy, but seeing it live was amazing. Every hit got me into the game.

MSU/OSU? Go Green!

Kevin said...

Hockey is definitely more fun to see live. For me, it's the speed of the game that doesn't translate at all to TV. When you are close to the boards like that, you get a sense for how fast the players are going (and how hard the checks really are) It's hard to appreciate on TV.

For the record, soccer doesn't translate to TV very well either. You can't see any of the runs off of the ball (which is one of the most important parts of good soccer.)