Pages


Monday, January 18, 2010

Up In The Air

I was inspired to see "Up In The Air" partially due to all of the Golden Globe awards it has been nominated for (Best Actor, Supporting Actress (2), Picture, and Screenplay). Plus, I don't feel like there are too many interesting movies out right now.

Overall, I feel it was a very poignant movie "given our current economic climate" (I hate that term by the way, it is very overused). George Clooney's character travels the U.S. for a company that takes care of firing people. He travels constantly (at one point, he reveals he spent 46 days "at home" last year). Without giving too much away, the overall theme of the movie is "what is really important in life". While it was kind of uncomfortable to literally see like 50 people get fired, I enjoyed it. Stacey didn't like the ending and gave it 1/2 thumbs up. I don't need a "neat and tidy" ending as much, so I gave it 3/4 thumbs up.

On the way home, I had to think how I would handle being fired. Right now, I think I have as much job security as anyone could have. Our center's business is doing very well, especially G.O.C.E.C., and I am the only experienced person working there. But if I were ever fired, I think I would cry a little, try to ask why, and then quietly leave. I don't think I would be borderline violent, yell, or try to negotiate. I think understanding the relative importance of things is critical to keeping oneself grounded. To every life shattering problem, "there's a billion Chinese who don't care" ...or something. It may take a little while, it may take a long while, but everyone eventually moves on. Not just from losing your job, but from everything. And I think that developing that perspective, being able to understand how trivial some problems really are and to move on, is the way I've grown up most in the past two years.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

"It may take a little while, it may take a long while, but everyone eventually moves on. Not just from losing your job, but from everything."

Amen. I agree completely. But it's hard not to reach for illusions of stability when the ground collapses beneath your feet.