Pages


Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Michigan Week

I can't wait for this game Saturday.  

Denard Robinson has more rushing yards than 91 teams.
I think that the way Michigan can make us pay is by having him roll out of the pocket and then throw deep down field.  In this situation, our linebackers may overcommit to trying to stop him from running leaving the middle open.  On SportsCenter, they just showed how having the DEs go right after him rather than falling back into contain, he doesn't have enough room to run and throws the ball earlier than he'd like.  My hope is that the defenses he has faced have been nothing like our defense (top 20 in the country!).  I think if we can knock him hard early, he will be more hesitant to take off and run.

I keep trying to remind myself that they almost lost to UMass and Indiana, and played a close game through three quarters vs. Bowling Green.  It's Michigan/Michigan State, though, so their defense will certainly play at a high level.

I think we are better served playing them close all game rather than coming out to a big lead and letting them back in it in the second half, which we always do.  I don't want them to have the momentum at the end of the game.

If we pull this one out, I am relieved that we have Illinois before the always competitive matchup with Northwestern.  I don't think we can beat both Iowa and Penn State, but I am excited for the propect of finally playing in a BCS game.

2 comments:

Mikey D said...

You don't think we can beat Penn State this year? I haven't been impressed with them at all so far. I think we're farther along as a team than them.

But...the game is in Happy Valley...so maybe you're right. I still like our chances more than most years.

Iowa I think is a loss. That's a good team...at home.

Kevin said...

I have no clue how this game is going to go. I can see Robinson destroying us for 200 and 200 and getting blown out. I can see us playing a 17-16 game with a last second FG to win. I can see us containing Robinson and winning 24-10.

I think this week will tell me a lot about our team this year, and about our program as a whole; where it is and where it's going.