Pages


Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fads I Just Don't Get

I feel very old when I consider what's hot today in teenage pop culture. I just don't get it. As you can see by my list, I think our "youth culture" (another phrase that makes me look old) is very feminine-driven. When did teenage boys become pansies?? So here's my power rankings for things that I don't get (a.k.a. why I'm old).

1. Twilight - is it almost over??
2. Everything else "vampire inspired"
3. Two high school boy fashion trends - the long hair in your face and tight pants - when did looking like a girl become cool?
4. Justin Bieber - is he part of the reason for #3? How is he collaborating with Ludacris and Sean Kingston?? Does this not take away every bit of their street cred?
5. Glee - I enjoy some acapella now and then and I love hearing NPH sing, but come on
6. Twitter - again, nobody cares about your mundane everyday life
7. Teenage Mom shows - I thought that teenagers who got knocked up were outcasts. Is this because of Juno or because of Sarah Palin's daughter?
8. Dancing with the Stars - It's ballroom dancing!! There's nothing cool about ballroom dancing!!

2 comments:

Mikey D said...

Haha, I don't mind the teenage mom shows...I just think they're interesting. I could never imagine myself in their shoes, so it's curious to watch them go through the whole experience (and when they go through it with douches for boyfriends, it's all the better!).

The two high school boy fashion trends are around because fashion is cyclical. These tight pants and longer hair (which doesn't look like a girl's, in my opinion) were cool in the 60s and 70s, yes? Definitely doesn't help you have "guys" like Justin Bieber promoting the look. But my mom is always saying how all the boys now look like how the boys used to be in her day.

Yeah...the rest of the list...bleah. You are spot on: when did they become such pansies???

Kevin said...

I don't even pretend to know what "youth culture" is interested in these days. (Unless video games count, because I'm going to get Mario Galaxy 2 pretty soon...)


Once you pass age 25, you no longer get to define cool. Cool is whatever the kids say it is. But if it helps, remember that kids are stupid.