Pages


Friday, May 07, 2010

King of the City

Chris Broussard's article on LeBron's recent MVP acceptance ceremony highlights what makes him different than a lot of other superstars (i.e., Kobe). Many people have looked for deeper meaning in his words about Akron; some say they indicate he's staying while others believe it was a farewell acknowledgement. I am not taking this either way, but I do appreciate LeBron for his attitude.

Since he gained nation-wide attention as a high school junior/senior, LeBron has been doing all the right things. He has been saying the right things, surrounding himself with the right people, and demonstrating the right balance of maturity and personality. I am not saying LeBron is a "good person". In a "post Tiger/Letterman/Roethlisberger/etc" world, nobody is willing to make strong value judgements about someone's character. But I do think he is fairly selfless, genuinely interested in his teams' success rather than his own (because he knows making his team better will lead to his own success), and is appreciative of his roots and the people who helped him get where he is. I think he appears to have better character and is a better teammate than Michael, the person who he is compared to most.

I am in the small minority of people who believe he will be returning to Cleveland. I don't think it will have anything to do with winning or losing a championship this year. I believe, through this event and many of his other actions, that he has a deep connection to Northeast Ohio. He is going to get a max contract no matter where he goes. I don't see him benefitting any more from a "marketing standpoint" by being in LA or NYC. I think he actually appreciates not having to deal with as much paparazzi in Cleveland. And, while having a good support group of teammates is necessary, I don't think he would be tempted by the opportunity of an "All Star Lineup".

I remember when he completely took over the 4th quarter series-clinching game against us in the playoffs a few years ago. He took his game to another level and everyone outside of Michigan was in awe of his performance. Now that the Pistons are in the crapper, I can appreciate LeBron a little more. I am by no means jumping on the Cavs bandwagon, but he is enjoyable to watch. I appreciate him thanking his hometown fans and acknowledging his teammates while winning an individual award.

5 comments:

Kevin said...

It's against the sports fans code to like anyone who plays in your team's division, especially rival superstars.

But I don't hate LeBron as much as I probably should. For example, I hate Anderson Varejao way more than I do LeBron.

I think that's a credit to LeBron's personality. (Or his "public persona" anyway)

Mikey D said...

I don't think you're in a small minority that thinks LeBron is coming back to Cleveland. I think he is as well, and I know many experts do, too. I'd say it's a 50-50 chance he leaves. I think there's something to be said about building your legacy and making a unique "footprint" in NBA history with Cleveland. That's something he could never accomplish in New York, where they've already had greatness. And there's nothing LeBron couldn't do in New York that he couldn't do in Cleveland, marketing wise. The guy is huge.

I like LeBron- when he's not playing the Pistons. I LOVE the way he carries himself. Some guys just get it, and it's remarkable that this guy got it at such a young age. I mean, Dwight Howard- another supposed good guy- gets fined for criticizing the officials. Have you even ever heard LeBron even rant about officiating??? He just seems like a class act.

So who are you rooting for in the NBA playoffs??? I put them in this order:
1. Phoenix Suns
2. Cleveland Cavaliers
3. Orlando Magic
4. San Antonio Spurs
5. Atlanta Hawks
6. Los Angeles Lakers
7. Boston Celtics
8. Utah Jazz

Kevin said...

"Root" is a little strong of a word, I don't care about about any of the teams. I pretty much gave up on basketball for the season around the all-star break.

But if I had to rank them:

1)Suns
2)Magic
3)Jazz
4)Hawks
5)Cavs
6)Celtics
7)Lakers
8)Spurs

Why no love for the Jazz?

Mikey D said...

I don't like Boozer. He seems like an asshole.

Adam said...

I've got:
1. Cleveland Cavs
2. Atlanta Hawks (just because if you said 3 years ago "NBA Champion Hawks" nobody would have believed it)
3. Phoenix Suns
4. Orlando Magic
5. Everyone Else
6. Los Angeles Kobe Bryants