Pages


Sunday, May 02, 2010

Food Coma

For the first time in almost a month, I have a non-sports related post. I have been on an unhealthy kick lately. If someone can be a "health nut", what would an unhealth person be? A "health Milk Dud?" I'm not depressed or anything, but I definitely think I treat food as something that is comforting. I attach positive feelings towards food, which I know is bad. I think a lot of people wrestle with the same thing and that is why some people overeat or eat the wrong things. I am by no means in serious trouble at this point and I could only stand to lose 5-10 pounds. I think my main problem with health right now stems more from inactivity than from food. I am hopeful once we get our kayaks and spend more time doing yard work, I will be exercising more often (than never). So here's the items that have been giving me trouble lately - my "power rankings of junk food".

1. Doughnuts - my all-time favorite food and favorite vice. Power rankings of doughnut places - Honey Dip, Buckeye Donuts (I'm sorry guys, they're good so it's worth it), Tim Horton's TimBits (not their actual doughnuts though)

2. Taco Bell - my fourth-meal consists of the cheesy gordita crunch, steak quesadilla, fiesta potatoes, or the steak chalupa supreme

3. Cheetos - I find it humorous that on the back of the bag is a photo of corn. Is that because they want you to think that Cheetos are a natural food and aren't completely chemically produced? Because I'm fine either way - they're really good

4. City Barbeque beef brisket sandwich and mac & cheese

5. Burger King A-1 Steakhouse XT - A mix of steak sauce, fried onion strings, and beef that tastes great and leaves a bomb in my stomach to detonate 30 mins later

6. Sushi-KO rolls - doesn't necessarily sound like junk food, but the ones I like most are fried

7. Doritos - were recently bumped down the list by Cheetos - I'm a regular nacho cheese loyalist. Has anyone tried the cheeseburger ones? It tastes exactly like the different layers of a cheeseburger, but will make you vomit

8. Kid's cereal - Fruit Loops, Golden Grahams, Cinnamon Toast Crunch - I don't usually eat breakfast, but I've recently been eating cereal before I go to bed on nights where I'm still hungry

9. Potato salad

10. Smore Pop Tarts (yeah, you heard me Mike)

5 comments:

Mikey D said...

Hey, at least Pop Tarts were last.

And is kid's cereal that bad for you? I'm not saying it's not, I just never considered it junk food.

Donuts...I have to be honest, I don't remember you eating too many of those at Knob Hill. Perhaps I just didn't care too much what you ate, or maybe this is a new thing?

My top 5:
1. Coca Cola
2. Rita's Chocolate Water Ice
3. Iced Tea
4. Frozen Burritos
5. Coffee w/sugar and creamer

Kevin said...

Eating to make yourself feel better can be a problem. But it's not wrong to enjoy food, even junk food. As long the junk food is eaten in a larger context of a (mostly) healthy diet/lifestyle, I say celebrate doughnuts!

My Top 5:
Wendy's
Frozen Pizzas
Pop-Tarts
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Soda

Kid's cereal isn't junk food. It's fortified with essential nutrients. It's part of this balanced breakfast....so it must it must be healthy! (I had a bowl of Cap'n Crunch this morning....)

Coffee doesn't count as junk food in my book either. It's not healthy, but I don't consider it junk food.

Mikey D said...

What about some of those coffee shop drinks...the ones with the whip cream, chocolate drizzle, etc.

Those junk food?

Kevin said...

They probably are, but I just lump everything into the category of "coffee" in my head.

I don't recognize the difference between a double latte espresso, an orage mocha frappacino, and a cup of black coffee.

Tea is coffee to me.

Mikey D said...

Haha, okay.