Pages


Sunday, July 17, 2005

A New Beginning

I did it. Today, I gave in. I joined a club that I never understood. I bought a Nalgene/Moosejaw bottle. Well, not really... I bought mine at Meijer. I will be working long days starting tomorrow (scary) and the only water fountains in the park are gross. So, I bought a durable, plastic bottle. A "Nalgene-esque" bottle. For four years, I have seen sorority girls and "guys who are really into fitness" (see also: arrogant metros) walking around campus with those hard plastic bottles. You might be asking yourself, "Adam, so what? They like having 1000ml of refreshing water on hand whenever they get parched." It's more than the Nalgene bottle... there's a Nalgene culture. Everyone knows the importance of those little bottles to campus - our commencement student speaker even mentioned them in her speech. So that's my Nalgene bottle confession.

Whenever I see someone who is disabled, I feel bad. A lot of people do, but I feel really bad. Like I am spoiled and waste my life writing a story about a water bottle. (Oops) At Meijer, a woman in a motor cart asked me to get her a bottle of milk for her. I felt bad for her disability, but damn was that cart fast. I bet she got done with her shopping in half the time it took me because of that cart. Disabled kids make me the saddest.

I am excited because Stacey and I are planning a little 3 day getaway to Mackinac Island after the season is over. We have it all planned out and we're making it our Christmas gift to each other. I can't wait! But for now, I start a new job tomorrow with a new "Nalgene Bottle". I have to come up with some name for it that makes me sound less gay.

No comments: